The university Savoie Mont Blanc (France) and Unil (Switzerland) are offering a full-time PhD studentship funded by Labex ITTEM, under the supervision of Dr. Isabelle Frochot and Prof Christophe Clivaz.
The candidate will participate in a research project which aims to question the difficulties that new consumers in the mountains may encounter, consumers with little expertise who are struggling to develop skills to fully appreciate and respect their natural spaces. The thesis explores to what extent different nesting protocols can provide new practitioners with the bases for a sensible and respectful use of natural mountain destinations. Nesting refers to the ability of consumers to have access to the specific "codes" of a consumption context, in order to be able to immerse themselves in a territory, a culture, an event, etc. (Carù and Cova, 2003 & 2006).
The thesis, positioned in management sciences, and more particularly in the field of marketing, will call on other concepts and models from human geography and communication sciences.
The data collection will be deployed in a transverse and symmetrical manner on destinations located in France (Chamonix) and Switzerland (Pays Gruyère Pays d'Enhaut).
We would like to recruit someone with the following profile:
• Research Master in human and social sciences: management sciences, geography, tourism studies, political sciences, infocom, etc…; with proven research skills
• Commitment to field research with interpersonal skills
• A knowledge and a practice of the mountain would be an advantage;
• Fluency in French (working language) with good knowledge of English.
Starting date: May 1, 2021 or date to be agreed
Contract duration: 3 years
PhD studentship: 100%
Place of work: IREGE in Annecy (France) mainly, and occasionally the Institute of Geography and Sustainability, UNIL Sion, Bramois (Switzerland).
Application deadline: 02.04.2021
Interested parties are requested to send us the following documents (in PDF format):
• Cover letter ;
• A complete curriculum vitae;
• A copy of the university degrees obtained; and grades obtained since the baccalaureate/A levels;
• A copy of the research master's thesis or equivalent;
• Contact details of two people who can provide references.